Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Snow skiing

We went to Santa Fe, NM over the weekend to go skiing. We left Friday and came back yesterday. We skiied Santa Fe on Saturday and Taos on Sunday. I had a good time skiing. I realized how much I had missed it the last few years. Santa Fe didn't have alot of snow and only 6-8 runs were open. I think I spent more time on the lift than I did actually skiing. Taos was really icy. They had more snow and about 15-20 runs open. I watched these kids race downhill and it was amazing. There were these little kids, like 4 and 5 year olds racing down the mountain. It was awesome. They would have totally kicked my butt! It was an organized race. There were teams from all over Colorado, New Mexico and Utah there. It was some kind of junior Olympic race. There were Olympic signs up on the mtn so I guess that is what it was. I only crashed once and it was because I forgot I had skies on and I tried to walk while I was watching the races. So, I kinda tipped over. But I hear that Taos is one of the hardest mountains to ski. I have only been there twice before. One time I was 16 and I skiied only about 2 hours because it was too old and they shut down all the upper lifts and the other time I was 21 and I had a broken arm so I didn't ski at all. The greens were more like blues. Some of the greens had moguls on them and most were hard packed and super icy. But it was so much fun. My boots were rubbing on my legs and shins and I have these big "burns" on the sides of my legs from them. I don't remember ever having that problem before. Maybe my calves are just bigger now than what they used to be. We ate some really good mexican (new mexican) food that had this amazing green chile sauce. Possibly the best mexican food I have ever eaten. Plus there was a tango dance group performing during dinner. We ate breakfast every morning at Whole Foods and I am so upset that we don't have one here in OKC. Surely one of the days we will get one. Even if it were in Norman or Edmond I would be happy. They had huevos rancheros that was so good! And the bacon...oh my gosh! Well, I definately ate well over this trip and now it is time to get back to the diet (attempt to stay on some kind of a diet) and the bike training. I haven't ridden my bike since Thursday so I am feeling like a slacker. Tonight I am planning on weights at the gym and then an hour of tempo on the trainer. Sounds like fun, huh? I've got a few pictures from this weekend that I'll post later tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home