Monday, March 13, 2006

LA Primavera at Lago Vista I and II

I raced in Austin this weekend. Or to be more exact, at Lake Travis just outside of Austin. Both days are pretty much the same course. They are hilly courses with a steep uphill finish. I think every race I have done this year has an uphill finish. I can't wait until I have a flast fast finish! We left OKC at 5:00 and I planned to be at my teammate, Beth's, house by 10:30. That was until we encountered the massive road consturction and miles upon miles of red brake light along I-35 right before the Texas border. Two hours later, we were rolling along, once again, at 75 mph. We finally arrived at Beth's at 12:30. I was completely exhausted and all I could think about was sleep. But my coke that I drank on the way down to keep me awake, did in fact keep me awake another hour or so, until I finally fell asleep around 2:00 am.

The women's open race started at 10:15. It was already hot when I woke up at 7:30. And it was really hot by 9:00 when I jumped on my trainer to warm-up. I felt decent for the first half of the race and then Jen Mcrae attack through the start finish uphill section and for some reason, I decided to go with her. I pretty much blew myself up and ended up getting dropped when a break caught us. Jen is one strong chic. So, I rolled around in the pack for the rest of the race and tried to go for the sprint. The wheel I was on sat up right before the finish and I actually had to break and swerve to prevent steam rolling over the chic. I ended up 13th but my teammates took 4th, 6th and 8th. Not too bad.

Sunday was a little cooler and much better for me because I actually got some sleep the night before. I had a good warm-up and was ready to go. I felt good pretty much the entire race and I even attacked and managed to NOT blow myself up. A break of 4 went up the road and Beth was in it so we just patrolled the pack for the next lap or so and waited for the sprint. Daniele started leading me out a little too soon and a ConnexTrain girl, Ally Brandt, attacked and I went with her. My teammate Shontell was on my wheel and she took it it home. She took 5th and I managed to hold onto 6th. So, we took 4th, 5th and 6th. That was even better. This was our first weekend of the entire team racing together and we have some things to work on, for sure. But we still have the rest of the season to figure it all out.

We ate dinner yesterday after the race at Chuey's. It was so good but I ate way too much. At least too much to drive 5 hours. We took quick showers at Beth's and hit the road by 6:00.We pulled into the drive-way at 11:30. The traffic was pretty minimal so that made the drive much better. THere's a stage race in Fayettevill, Texas this weekend but that is another 1 1/2 south of AUstin. I don't think I can handle spending another weekend in the car.

I'll post some pictures shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home