Monday, February 27, 2006

I raced in Austin this past weekend. It was my first of the season so I really didn't have a lot of expectations going into to these. I had no idea where my fitness was compared to others and I wanted to see how long I could stay in. Really that was my goal, just to stay in the p/1/2 women's field and not get dropped. I did manage to stay in and finish with the pack both days. Saturday we raced Walburg and it was cold and rainy. It rained the entire race, except the last 5 miles. It was so cold I could not feel my feet and my arms were really stiff. Jen McRae went off and we could not chase her down. Then Beth, my teammate went and made a break with two other girls. So, I just hung in the pack for the finish. I really thought I could take the field sprint but then again, I could not feel my feet or my legs. Plus, it was an uphill finish. I struggled to sprint and ended up 2nd in the sprint and 6th overall. Beth got 2nd overall so that was really good for our team morale.

Sunday was a beautiful day. It was 68 degrees and sunny. In fact I have already started my farmer's tan just from yesterday's race. A break went on the first lap and we thought it was too early and that no way it was actually going to stick. One chic was brought back in but the other girl stayed aways for the rest of the race and won the whole thing, solo! For sure, good for her! After numerous attacks, counters, breaks and pacelines, Beth, Jen and Shannon Koch finally got away on the 6th lap. The field let them go as the teams were all up the road. Again I thought about the sprint and tried to conserve as much as possible. But again, it was an uphill sprint. Actually up 2 hills to the finish. So I blew after the first hill and limped pathetically across the line. I'm not even sure what place I got. Beth took 4th and Danielle took 7th (I think). I haven't actually seen the results from yesterday so I'm not really sure.

But it was a good weekend and I had alot of fun. I was happy with my fitness and I think I am right on track for where I need to be at this early part of the season. I will be ready to rock n'roll for some flat crit action, for sure. Now I am in desperate need for sleep. We got back to OKC at 1:30 last night or in the morning and I had to be in court in Fairview at 9:00 this morning. My alarm went off this morning at 6:30 and I was not real enthused about my 4 1/2 hours of sleep. Then I got to drive 2 hours to Fairview and then another 30 minutes to Enid to eat lunch with my mom and my brother and then drive another 1 1/2 hours back to OKC. So, I am pretty much done driving for a few days. I may even walk home and leave my car at work. Not really, but that is how bad I do not want to drive right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home