Saturday, February 04, 2006

Team Camp

I'm in Austin, Texas for the weekend for our second training camp. I got in late last night and my alarm went off way too early this morning. I am staying with one of my teammates, Beth, and the team met here this morning at 7:30. We rolled out to meet the ATC (Austin Tri Cyclists) group ride. I thought, oh god...a bunch of tri geeks!!! But to my surprise it was mostly all the top pro 1/2 guys from Austin along with some pretty salty masters and cat 3 guys. It was CRAZY!!! I swear...there were 75 people on the group ride. I have never done a group ride with that many people before. Jen McCrae, our team coach, said to be sure to stay in the top 20. I thought that would be near the back but after I saw the mass of cyclist coming at us, I realized the top 20 was pretty much the front. The ride took off pretty good and then a paceline formed at the front and it was on. It was pretty hilly and I was struggling up most of the hills. But I hung on for over half of the ride and then a gap opened up and I just didn't have it in my legs to close it. So I was off the main pack of only about 15 people with 2 other guys and we were rotating and chasing like crazy to catch back on. It was tough. People were getting spit off the lead pack and literally going backwards when we went by them. Three of my teammates were able to stay with the lead pack which it is pretty impressive. We regrouped and did 30ish miles as a team back to Beth's house. It is a beautiful day and I really wanted to ride some more. I felt really good on the ride today even though I struggled a bit at first. Once I got the cobwebs out, I felt awesome. It seems like my trips to Mt. Scott are paying off.

After the ride we had lunch here at Beth's together and our team chiropractor came over and did adjustments and some massage therapies for all of us. Now I am ready for a shower and a nap. We have team photos tonight at our sponsor bike shop, Bicycle Sport Shop, and then a team dinner. I think we are headed to Lance Armstrong's club after that but I'm not sure how long I'll make it. I'm not much of a night owl. Tomorrow is a four hour ride in the Austin hill country so that should be fun. I am looking forward to riding in some more sunshine. Hopefully it will be another good day on the bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home