Friday, July 15, 2005

3 for 3

Three group rides in three days. I'm pretty tired right now. At least my legs are.

I did the Tuesday BLN ride. I rode from the house to the bike shop, picked up Charles and we made it almost to Norman. So, I had 20 miles before the ride started. It was super fast and much faster than usual. I got popped much sooner than I usually do. I couldn't seem to get in a draft anywhere. The wind was switching out of the north and it was strong. So, I was left to ride home by myself and north all the way. A few miles into my solo trek and van skimmed my and I could here someone yelling at me. I had my ipod on so I didn't know what they were saying. I just assumed it was the usual, "get out of the road" type of thing that I usually get. But to my delight, it was Steve from the bike shop being motorpaced by his wife in their van. Sweet! I jumped on and they pulled me all the way home at 30 miles and hour. About 5 miles from my house it started raining and lightening pretty good. So I was very thankful Steve came along. I got 48.3 miles and 21.1 average.

Wednesday was the OBS Lake Overholser ride, aka Wednesday Night Worlds! Charles and I rode over to the lake, which is about 10 miles. The wind was out of the north so we headed north on the ride. There was a tanden on the ride that was bent on keeping the pace between 25 and 30 mph. When I wouldn't pull through (or couldn't pull through) so the back of the tandem told me I was lazy!!! Whatever. I'm not getting popped 10 miles into the ride because you want me to come around you at 30! Anyway, I tried to sit in but the hills sorta got to me. The first big hill I got dropped, but Charles pulled me back up to the pack. We went to the front to prevent it from happening again. I was already blown. It was strung out single file, 30 mph for almost 10 miles. Smathers was behind me and he said he felt like they were leading him out for the sprint! It was that fast. And then the dreaded hill came and I popped. Nothing more left in the legs. Down to 14 mph and rolling backwards now. Charles and Pete flipped around and we rode back to the lake. It was everything I could do to hang on with them back into OKC. We stopped at 7-11 and filled up with water and the best fruit punch in the world, at least it tasted like it at the time! Charles and I rode back home trying to beat the strorm. We made it before the rain started at clocked 64.8 miles. Pretty good for a Wednesday night ride.

Thursday night we drove to Norman for the BLN ride. It was really sketchy for most of the ride. I guess for some folks it is hard to ride in a straight line behind the wheel of someone else. And for some, it is difficult to ride on the right side of the road up hills where cars may be coming at them in the opposite direction. But anyway, it is a hilly ride and hills are typically not my friend. But I did ok and am working on moving to the front on the downhill so I don't get dropped on the uphill. It seemed to work well for me last night. It was hard going into the sprint for the Norman city limit sign especially when Rat blasts around us at 40 mph. I was out of gears and was spinning like crazy to catch up to her. After the sprint was fast too, 30 mph all the way back in to town. I had so much sweat in my eyes by the end of the ride I could barely keep my eyes open. I got 32 miles and we averaged 21.6 mph.

So for three days, I have 145.1 miles. Pretty good for me. I think that is the most miles I have ridden in a week since this winter. I sorta want to race this weekend, but I have neglected the yard and the house. It needs some cleaning up. After the three hard rides I may need a day or two to rest. But I really want ot race this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home